Thursday, January 19, 2017

Christmas Spice Tea

   When I was growing up, we did not have much money. We weren't so bad as to need food stamps or government housing, but we had free lunches at school and lots of second-hand clothes.  So our at home food choices growing up weren't that broad, either.  There was a lot of noodles, oatmeal, canned goods, and other cheap and easy foods, but fresh fruit and veggies weren't always available, let alone name brand foods and special treats on a regular basis. One of the treats we did get was spice tea. At least I thought it was a treat.  Growing up we usually had frozen juice, milk, water, and generic Kool-Aid to drink. Sometimes, though, we had Friendship Tea, which is basically instant ice tea, orange drink mix (Tang), cinnamon and cloves.  So when I came across a recipe in a church cookbook for Christmas Spice Tea, it took me back to my childhood.  Thank you Patty Compton, whoever you are, and the Immanuel Lutheran Church of Altona, IL, for bringing this back to me.  I'm pretty sure copyright keeps me from putting the exact recipe here, but it's from the Divinely Delicious book, Celebrating 150 years.  Maybe they still have some copies.

   Anyway, it's made from orange drink mix (Tang), ice tea mix, sugar, a packet of lemonade mix, cinnamon red hots, ground cloves, and ground cinnamon. Google Friendship tea or Christmas tea, you'll find something close.


   
Don't the red hots look like holly berries in there? So cute!


   It's pretty simple. Mix everything up, pour into hot water, and enjoy!  Ah, the simple things.  This is going to be great on a cold night or morning on the trail, too.  I think next time I'll try it with less sugar, since there's already some in the orange drink stuff, and try again without the lemonade packet.  I like to experiment. :)

But right now I'm going to have another cup.

Joyfully yours,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment