Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Making Energy Bars

   Hubby was getting ready for a winter hike last weekend, and I had a brand new trail food book I haven't made anything out of yet.  What is a girl to do?  Well, the stereotypical girl wouldn't have a trail food book in the first place, but I'm not her, so I tried out some new recipes for them to take.  My mom actually found this recipe for Energy Bars in her newest Midwest Energy Cooperative magazine (p.10).

   First I mixed peanut butter and honey, and then added the oats, one cup at a time.  That was an arm workout, let me say.  It could be because I worked out the day before, but it was a tough mix.  Then in went the flax seed and chocolate chips.  The recipe called for a cup of mixed seeds/nuts/grains as you like, so I used cut-up mangos, raisins, sunflower seeds and crushed peanuts.  It looks yummy.  Note the chunky balls of mixture.


   Then grease a pan, sprinkle coconut on the bottom, and press the mixture in. 


   Top with more shredded coconut and refrigerate.  Yum!



   Failure #1: It came out crumbly.
      Remember that photo of the mix before it was in the pan? Well, that's pretty much how it looked when we took it out of the fridge and tried to cut it into bars.  Did I mention I've never made, or seen made, bars of any kind?  Obviously I did something wrong.  I have two theories.  1: Not enough peanut butter-honey for it all to stick together and/or 2: I should have pressed it into one big mass before putting it in the pan.  I will make it again with those changes and see how it goes.
   I almost made that a half failure, because it is Delicious! The kids like it, Hubby and the big boys took it as trail mix, and I found it is yummy with plain yogurt.  Side story here: I got a good deal on some plain yogurt a week ago.  Then I discovered that, while it's perfect for smoothies, not so much for eating by itself.  Maybe I'm spoiled by Greek yogurt with honey or even vanilla yogurts, but plain yogurt is just too … plain.  It's bland.  Eating it with this stuff was the first time I didn't miss the flavor in the yogurt.

Until the next challenge,

Joyfully yours,
K


No comments:

Post a Comment