Monday, January 2, 2017

And then plans change...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

   What a ride the last few weeks have been! I was behind on my blogposts, catching up on housework, holiday party planning, Christmas shopping, and everything else on the daily lists, when it happened.  My mom fell down a flight of stairs.  Thank goodness, as bad as it could have been, she only broke both forearms, her nose, and got some scrapes and bruises. The nose healed fine, she got plates and screws in both arms, and was able to leave the hospital after 5 days.  But since both of her hands were almost useless, she couldn't go home alone and came to stay with us until she's got the strength and mobility back to take care of herself.  She could've gone to a rehab home for several weeks, but she didn't want that, and it wasn't even a question for us - as soon as we knew the extent of her injuries, Hubby and I were discussing her sleeping arrangements here.
   So she is here, healing nicely, but feeling a bit frustrated. She is not the type to sit around and have people take care of her, and she wants her independence back.  I don't blame her, I would be the same way.  She is making good progress, though, and her hands aren't totally useless. She is wearing removable braces instead of casts, which gives her much more ability. At the hospital, she could just barely feed herself with a spoon, now she can use a fork and spoon, but can't lift a full serving spoon to put food on the plate.  Before she could only drink out of a straw, now she can hold and lift a cup to drink, but can't pick up a pitcher to pour.  Before she couldn't dress herself, now she can do it all but her socks, her arm braces, and some shirts.  So, yes, good progress.  And I am able to take 3 weeks off work to care for her and get her on track, which is a big help for all.  Next week I'm back to work, but we've scheduled it so she's not home alone.
   On the homestead front, the whole thing has put me behind.  Note here: not complaining or blaming, just stating how it is.  Trips to the hospital, follow up appointments, watching her two rescue dogs, taking care of her, etc. have taken up time, and we added a new construction project. We enclosed the open area off the back door to make her a bedroom downstairs. It was the playroom/future mudroom, so we built a wall to separate the entryway from the room.  Oh, yeah, and this was all right before Christmas, New Year's, the completion of my hiking challenge, and the beginning of my (focused) permaculture studies.  More on those projects later, but it has been a busy time!
  So I am thankful my mom wasn't more seriously hurt, she was home for Christmas, and the kids have loads more time with her for awhile.  I am thankful I have the time, space, ability, and support of my husband to care for her here at my home.  I am thankful to have already started this journey here, because I know these kinds of things will happen and they will not stop me, but keep me even more focused on what I want in life and out of life.

Joyfully yours,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment