Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Operation Birthday Surprise

   Oh, my, what a long weekend!  I'm not sure what I was thinking, planning something like this right after Thanksgiving, but you can't control when people are born - especially not your parents.  So this weekend dear old Dad turned 60! ... What??? I'm old enough to have a 60 year old dad??? ... My Grams planned a party for him for the local family -Aunts, cousins, brother's family, etc - which he knew all about, but Brother and I surprised him by coming in from out-of-state for the weekend.  We drove out Wednesday afternoon and came home late Sunday night.  Poor Hubby stayed home to work and dog sit for friends of ours.  It was crazy busy almost the whole time, because there was his party and another family get-together the next day, and I was helping my Grams with all the prep and cooking for both parties while keeping kiddos happy, occupied, and out of her antiques.
   For the surprise, Grams got him to come to her house for dinner, and we hid in the basement stairs when he came.  She tried to get him to open the door, but they were chatty and kiddos were restless (and wearing noisy coats!) so I had Handsome Boy knock on the door.  Dad was thoroughly perplexed as to why somebody would be knocking from inside the basement, and thoroughly surprised to open the door and find us.  Surprise #1 - Success! I had to get Brother from the airport the next day, so I told Dad I was taking him out to dinner and was following my phone's directions.  When I turned into the airport I kind of implied I might be lost, texted Brother on the pretense of checking the map, then said "Oh, but first we have to make a pickup" and pulled over right beside him.  Surprise #2 - Success!  And yes, then I took them out to dinner.
   We also saw a Christmas light show, fireworks, a small parade, spent time at the park, had hot cocoa with a childhood friend, took kids shopping, saw a cool "A Christmas Story" display, played lots of games, saw extended family, and got to see our first good snowfall of the season.  I would have liked a little more down time, but every mom knows - moms don't get vacations unless the kids aren't with her.  A small price to pay to spend time with family and bring joy to their lives, too.

Joyfully yours,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment