Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Shopping Day 12-13-16

.  No hiking for me today- it's one of those days where one thing has to be laid aside for another.  Translation: I have chores to do, and grocery shopping, and Christmas shopping.  Ug.  I do not like shopping.
----- What? Did she... Did a woman just say she doesn't like shopping? Whaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!
  I would rather do something productive than walk around at look at things I don't need that only want to dwindle the bank account.  Sure, there's the occasional (like, every 4-6 months) shopping spree at the thrift store, where I set aside a couple hours to stock up on clothes for the family.
----- Did she just say a couple hours? I thought she didn't like to shop?
   Yes, I said a couple hours, because it's almost always at a thrift store and I try every piece on.  My kids don't care so much as long as it is comfortable to wear, and for them I care that it will fit in. Not as in branded wear for brand's sake, but not 80's lace and flowers, either *shudder*. Just normal.  My husband has his style, which is easy shopping, but for me, I am not going to spend any money on something I don't feel great in.  I think I heard that in a movie somewhere.  Since there's no returns, I try it all on.  I cruise the isles, pull off about 20-30 pieces that look promising,  try them on, and usually end up buying about 1/3 to 1/2 of the pile. And at thrift store prices, even 20 pieces is easily inside my budget
   No clothes shopping for me today though, I had a bit of groceries and 4 stores for Christmas.  I always fight it, but each year I feel a little more commercialized. Maybe I just notice it more. I do like shopping for others when I am looking for particular things, or happen to come across something I know will be appreciated or enjoyed. So (preferably) most of my buying/planning is done throughout the year and early in the season. Then I am not mad-rushing to "buy something because it's Christmas." These type of gifts usually end up being junk that the person didn't really want in the first place, doesn't ever use (or feels guilted into using it), and an overall waste of money.  So I don't  buy junk. If I really can't decide what you want, or I know what you want is something best picked out for yourself, a gift card or cash is what you get.  Everybody likes gifts, but everyone likes jingle in their pocket, too.
   Now for the wrapping!

Joyfully Yours,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment