Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Book Review: Becoming Odyssa by Jennifer Pharr Davis

   I am a reader. I love to read. I get to learn about different people, learn more how-to's and why's, dive into stories real and imagined, and get inspired. The only problem is, you have to sit and do nothing else while reading a book. That doesn't really fit in my schedule.  Audio books are my answer to the time thing. I can clean the house, drive to work, go hiking, and most anything else that lets my hands do work while I soak in the information.
   I did, however, take time to read this book, which took all of 4 days. This was borrowed to me by a friend of mine who became a somewhat reluctant section-hiker on the Appalachian Trail last year. His wife is an exuberant section-hiker and I love hiking, too. I've never thru-hiked anything, and never even touched the Appalachian Trail, but I love to be out in the woods.
   I really like this book. Not only is it another glimpse into the famed AT, I also like the idea that she just jumped right in, without experience and barely any training, and put everything out there in the book. "I share the good, bad, and ugly – even when I’m the one being ugly." - Jennifer Pharr Davis. Not only is it a tale of the trail, it's a coming of age story -she did this at 21 years old- and a story about how we look at life.
   I'm convinced that, in our current society, we need to remind ourselves constantly of what life is really about.  With our 2 minute attention spans, and eyeballs on screens a lot of the day, it is so easy (and I'm no exception) to let minutes go by without anything being accomplished, hours go by without the sun on our face and fresh winds in our hair, and most importantly, days go by without speaking (not texting) those we hold most dear.  This lesson and many others are weaved into this story.  Whether you glean hiking tips, shake your head at Jennifer's early mistakes and judgments, or laugh with her, it is a good read.
   You know, when you can sit down, kick up your feet, have a cup of coffee, and ignore the world around you for a bit.  :)
http://blueridgehikingco.com/product/becoming-odyssa-paperback

   Another good AT read is A Walk in the Woods, now also a movie with Robert Redford (one of the hottest old men around) and Nick Nolte. As with all books made into movies, I suggest you read it first.  They're both very good, though, and give another real and humorous look at the AT.
https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/1004854/a-walk-in-the-woods/
http://www.walkinthewoodsmovie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment