Monday, November 14, 2016

Thanksgiving in a clear house

   It's the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and the house isn't ready yet, but it is close to being ready to host the big dinner. And without the normal (I mean abnormal...I have to start thinking differently about these things...) mass hiding of these right before company comes.  This is actual organization, actual purging, and a good overdue deep clean in some areas.  Of course, I have construction projects yet to be done, so I've been making my goal to finish the dining room projects.  Like, done-done.  As of now, I have some outlets to switch out, trim to put in place, and new vent covers to make.  Plus organizing and fitting in extra tables and chairs for the dinner.  Speaking of dinner.....

   I love Thanksgiving. I love getting together with family, I love the food, it's just great. And thanks to my mother-in-law, I have an proven organization technique to keep me straight.  I used to think it was a little overboard, but it definitely works to keep a scatter brain like me in control.
4 Easy Steps to Thanksgiving Dinner
  .... or 4 Steps to an Easier Thanksgiving Dinner:
   Step 1: Everyone brings something. Get a list going a couple weeks ahead, and a reminder a couple days before to those who decide late. Whoever's hosting makes the bulk of the meal, but others bring what they enjoy making. We are big into potluck style in this family, even if one person just brings pop or a couple cans of corn. The point is for everyone to come together and share. You know, like the Pilgrims and Native Americans did.
   Step 2: Keep your list handy for update and reference. My list is in a notebook, so it's not likely to be knocked off the counter, confused for trash and thrown away. I have all the food and drink I want to serve, including condiments, appetizers, desserts, etc. I write down who's bringing what next to each thing, and on the back how long each things needs to cook so I can draw up a timeline for the kitchen.
   Step 3: From your list, write all the foods on slips of paper, and place them where they will be once it's cooked/brought over. This one is the key to easy-peasy. When they're all laid out on the table, you can see if anything is missing and if you have room for it all before trying to cram three dishes in one spot.  If you do buffet style like we do, walk along the path and see if it makes sense. Are the potatoes before the gravy, is the butter with the rolls, are the dressings by the salad with room to pour them out, etc. If slow cookers are involved, and you may want to ask for those bringing hot items, see how many plugs you will need AND that it won't overload your circuits. Nothing says a good time like a blown circuit right before dinner ... said no one ever. One more advantage is when people come in with their food, you can direct them to the slips of paper if you're not able to take it out of their hands right that second. Or, (if you can find him - mine tends to stay far away from the kitchen area because he knows I will do this) enlist the Hubby. Who's ever heard this? "Hi! I brought the potatoes, where do you want them?" when your hands are in the oven trying not to burn yourself. "On the buffet, look for the paper, thanks!" Then you can properly greet them when you know you're not going to dump the ham all over the floor. See? Easy-peasy.
   Step 4: Enjoy. So, step 1 is our tradition, and steps 2 and 3 are my keys to organizing dinner so I can accomplish step 4. This is a journey to creating a more joyful life, after all. By thinking ahead and eliminating the things which will cause me stress by confusion and overwhelm-ision (yeah....that's not a word😄) I can enjoy it. Sure, things may burn, or I may forget something, or plans go otherwise astray, but this is life. It's not a written book. I have chosen to have a joyful life, and that includes a joyful Thanksgiving.

Joyfully yours,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment